Purple Goldfish: Little Things Make the Biggest Difference in Creating Customer WOW
Location: Loews Boston Hotel
Time: REGISTRATION & NETWORKING TIME: 8:30am - 9am | PROGRAM TIME: 9-10:15am
Your brand’s customer experience will determine whether you thrive and profit or struggle and fade in business. The little things can make a big difference. In this keynote presentation, Stan shares the key ingredients of creating signature added value. He shares the 12 different types of purple goldfish in the two main categories of value and maintenance.
As a result of this keynote session, participants will:
- Tools: Get equipped with the 3D process for customer experience.
- Skills: Understand how to do the little things to drive value or reduce customer effort.
- Empathy: Gain a deeper appreciation for the need to exceed customer expectations.
Audience: This keynote is for senior management, managers and frontline staff who want to improve customer retention, drive differentiation and promote word of mouth advocacy.
Attendees will learn: Actionable ways to improve the customer experience.
Students + Faculty: $25
About Step Phelps Speaks:
Stan Phelps is the Founder of PurpleGoldfish.com, a think tank of customer experience and employee engagement experts based at the Frontier in Research Triangle Park. He is a TEDx speaker, Forbes contributor and IBM Futurist that inspires leaders to think differently about their most important stakeholders. Stan’s keynotes and workshops focus on the value of customer experience as a competitive differentiator and the importance of employee engagement in building a strong corporate culture. He has spoken at over 250 events in 15 countries (US, Canada, UK, Spain, Ecuador, Peru, The Netherlands, Russia, France, Germany, Australia, Bahrain, Malaysia, Israel and Sweden) for Fortune 500 brands such as IBM, Target, ESPN, UPS, and Citi.
Stan challenges brands to explore new opportunities, showing them how to be more successful in tomorrow’s changing world. Working with clients to create keynotes and workshops that are memorable, meaningful and on-brand.
He is the author of six books:
- Purple Goldfish – 12 Ways to Win Customers and Influence Word of Mouth. The book is based on the Purple Goldfish Project, a crowd sourcing effort that collected over 1,001 examples of signature added value. The book draws inspiration from the concept of lagniappe, providing 12 practical strategies for winning the hearts of customers and influencing positive word of mouth.
- Green Goldfish – Beyond Dollars: 15 Ways to Drive Employee Engagement and Reinforce Culture. The Green Goldfish examines the importance of employee engagement in today’s workplace. The book showcases 15 ways to increase employee engagement. Signature ways beyond compensation to reinforce the culture of an organization.
- Golden Goldfish – The Vital Few: All Customers and Employees Are Not Created Equal. The Golden Goldfish examines the importance of your Top 20% of customers and employees. The book showcases nine ways to increase to drive loyalty and retention with these two critical groups.
- Blue Goldfish – Using Technology, Data, and Analytics to Drive Both Profits and Prophets. Blue Goldfish showcases how companies are turning big data into little data. Turning insights into action to enhance relationships, responsiveness and readiness.
- Purple Goldfish Service Edition – The 12 Ways Hotels, Restaurants, and Airlines Win The Right Customers. The book provides a dozen of practical strategies for winning the hearts of customers and influencing positive word of mouth in a service business.
- Red Goldfish – Becoming a For-Purpose Business to Drive Loyalty and Sales. The book shares cutting edge examples and reveals the eight ways businesses can embrace purpose that drives employee engagement, fuels the bottom line, and makes an impact on the lives of those it serves.
Prior to focusing on speaking, Stan held leadership positions at IMG, adidas, and the PGA of America. He also spent seven years as Chief Solutions Officer at Synergy, an award winning experiential marketing agency. At Synergy, he helped create larger than life brand experiences for brands such as KFC, M&M’s, Starbucks and organizations such as NASCAR, MLS, and the USTA.
Stan started writing and speaking in 2009 on the belief that “differentiation via added value” can be a game changing strategy. For far too long, the overwhelming majority of marketing has fixated on the eyes and ears of the prospect. Not enough has been focused on creating experiences for current customers that drive referrals. Great customer experience is about being so remarkable that people can’t help but talk about you. That if you absolutely delight someone – they will not only come back, but they’ll bring their friends.
Stan received his BS in Marketing and Human Resources from Marist College, a JD/MBA from Villanova University, and a certificate for Achieving Breakthrough Service from Harvard Business School. He is a Past-President of the AMA Triangle, a 700+ member chapter of the American Marketing Association. He also currently serves on the Advisory Board for Special Spectators. Stan lives in Cary, North Carolina with his wife Jennifer and two boys Thomas & James.